Prepping For Patio Season With Tips From Dr. Katie Beleznay
In case you missed the memo: it’s patio season! Especially here in Vancouver — where we face rain for so many months of the year — now is the time when people get outside and enjoy the sunshine. But it’s important not to forget your skin as you indulge in a patio session. Here are a few tips to keep you safe through the summer months:
- Find a spot in the shade.Think about how the sun will move over the course of the next few hours and try to find a spot that will stay shady.
- Re-apply sunscreen.Sure, you put it on in the morning, but sunscreen unfortunately is not typically built to last all day. If you’re wearing makeup and don’t want to reapply sunscreen overtop, try a powder-based sunscreen like Colorscience Sunforgettable that you can easily dust on over your makeup.
- Pack a hat. There are many fashionable foldable hats that tuck away in your handbag easily, but still offer broad brim protection — and hats are so in style these days, that there’s really no excuse!
- Don’t forget your lips or eyes. We can’t emphasize high quality sunglasses enough — even on the sneaky overcast days. And a lipstick or balm with SPF is key if you’re putting in a few hours on the patio.
- Or your chest. The v-area of your chest is often more exposed than we realize, and can become leathery and damaged over time. Think carefully about what’s exposed when you apply sunscreen to your face: your décolletage, neck, hands, and the tops of your feet are among the most common areas to overlook — and get burnt as a result.
- Drink water. It goes without saying, but it’s important to drink lots of water, especially if it’s really warm on the patio, and even more so if you are indulging in alcoholic beverages that can dehydrate you. Hydration plays an important role in overall skin health.
Do you have more questions about how to enjoy patio season without putting your skin at risk? We’re always here to answer your questions!